Turning 30 has always been the benchmark for becoming “over-the-hill.” I’m not sure when that actually started, but nowadays, turning 30 is just turning 30. At the same time, you’re an adult, and some of the things you do when you were in your 20s can’t roll over with you to the next decade. Check out the things you need to start and stop doing by the time you turn the big 3-0.
1. START saving money. Really put money away for a rainy day. Although it may be hard to save, depending on what you do for a living, any amount you put in your savings is better than the zero you might be contributing, even if it’s a $5 a week.
2. STOP eating fast food. Really, we know there shouldn’t be 17 ingredients in french fries. (Seriously, McDonald’s, what’s your problem?) So why do we continue to push a food which is only meant to have one main ingredient into our mouths time and again. Cooking healthy, fresh foods saves you time (if you have leftovers) and money in the long run.
3. START going to bed early. By the time you hit your late-twenties, you should have already noticed that life isn’t all that poppin’ after midnight anymore. And nothing feels better than being in your jammies and in bed when the clock strikes 12. Why not get a head start on that sleep, so you can get a jumpstart on the next day?
4. STOP holding on to grudges. We’ve all done it a time or two, but now it’s time to let it go. You’ll feel better once everything is out on the table and you’ll feel freer from all of that unloaded baggage.
5. START opening up your 401k letters that you get in the mail. It’s for your future, so read it and get excited.
6. STOP making excuses for working out. Nothing will make you feel better than moving. And when the results come in… Man!
7. START traveling by yourself. It’s fun and scary, but once you do it, you’ll feel invincible.
8. STOP getting hangovers. We all know that drinking a lot more water when you plan on drinking will help.
9. START buying quality items. Buying store brand of something isn’t always the best thing to do just to save you a couple of dollars. Invest in quality pieces so you won’t have to spend more money in the long run.
10. STOP with the negative self-talk. You might have gone through a bout of doubting yourself. Hopefully, you’ll recognize those behaviors if you find yourself slipping in the same path. You should have an idea of what makes you feel good about yourself. #SelfLove
11. START knowing your limits. Do you often say yes when you should say no? Do you loan your family money and they don’t pay you back? Do you want to continue that. Take the time to understand what you will and will not tolerate by the time you hit 30.