I know most of you beauties can agree, there is something about a tall, handsome man who smells good. I also know some of you beauties will agree that you are a sucker for a beautiful woman (yeah, not all women are checking for a man). There is just so much chemistry (and lust) wrapped up in a strong physical attraction between two people. But as much as those physical features may catch our eye, for most of us, it takes more to keep our attention.
Let’s keep it real, most of you can admit that you have passed on a man (or woman) with potential for one that was good to look at. I know I have on several occasions (they were just so fine!).
It took me growing as a woman and almost going to jail for killing a few fools to realize that looks aren’t everything. Who knew that Andre 3000 was telling the truth when he said, “mighty fine only got you somewhere half the time.”
Now I know that no one wants a “Funny Valentine” but my Nannie always told me, “everything that look good, aint good.” There is so much more to finding a mate aside from their physical features. Allow me to share a few of my must-haves in an effort to save you from headache, heartache and jail time.
1. Yeah, they say opposites attract but you can’t connect or exist in the same space if you are not compatible. Your mate should get you.2. You must be able to trust your mate. You will lose your damn mind trying to make sure that fine, good-looking man (or woman) are not cheating.
3. Financial stability or working towards it is a must. Now I’m not saying that your mate should take care of you, but they should be willing to work and provide support, if needed. The word says, “A man that doesn’t work, doesn’t eat” and the last thing you need is a table with two hungry people and just enough food for one. I can do bad by myself, we may not be Jay-Z and Beyonce but I don’t need no help to starve to death (yeah that is a song).
4. It is very important that your mate is relationship ready. The problem in a lot of relationships is that one party is not ready to settle down. Many woman, have confused sex for love and attempted to turn a hookup in to a husband…big mistake! Just because you are ready to take things to the next level doesn’t mean that they are, which could result in all types of drama (read: jail time)!
5. Emotional stability is very important in a relationship. I know so many people (me being one) who found themselves coupled up with a good-looking fool. You know, that one that is too clingy or high-strung. That one who you are always fussing with about something. That one who can’t empathize with anyone about anything. You know, the Ike to your Tina.
6. Respect! Respect! Respect; It is everything and one of the most important ingredients when creating a good relationship. A person that doesn’t respect you will lie, cheat and destroy you; not because they want to but because they don’t care enough not to. A person that has no respect for you doesn’t deserve the time of day in a clock shop. #ToTheLeftToTheLeft
Now that I have shared some of my relationship needs, tell me a few of yours. What are some of the things you think are vital to a relationship? Did I miss any?